Welcome, I am a psychotherapist in Manchester.
I offer a quality psychotherapy service drawing on several styles of psychotherapy in South Manchester.
My name is Phil Tyson, and I have worked and trained as a psychotherapist in Manchester since the early 1990’s.
I have built a busy and successful independent psychotherapy practice helping people like you overcome their life, relationship and emotional difficulties.
How I work.
As a psychotherapist, I am qualified to practice as a cognitive behavioural psychotherapist, but I also recognize not everybody needs a focused and structured way out of their problems.
Sometimes we need to talk through our difficulties.
Fortunately I am also a qualified person-centred psychotherapist.
My style of therapy is to listen when you need to talk things through, and offer structured solutions when you are ready to move on.
Interestingly the research suggests that about 2/3‘s of clients want an unstructured space to talk, and about 1/3 of clients prefer the structure of cbt.
My experience is that most clients need different things at different stages of psychotherapy.
I am experienced and highly qualified in the field as a psychotherapist, and am also trained in other styles of therapy including EMDR,
I can help you to:
This is my background as a psychotherapist in Manchester.
- I graduated in 1991 with a 1st class Psychology degree awarded by the University of Manchester and the British Psychological Society Division of Occupational Psychology student prize.
- This was followed in 1993 by an M.Phil. in H.I.V. Counselling and Support, and, in 2002, with a Ph.D. in Counselling Theory and Counselling Practice, again awarded by the University of Manchester.
- I completed a British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy accredited Diploma in Counselling in 1994.
- I qualified as a cognitive behavioural therapist with a Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy from Edge Hill University.
- I hold an Advanced Diploma in Creative Hypnotherapy.
- I have undertaken postgraduate courses in couple counselling, Gestalt psychotherapy, mediation, EMDR and supervision.
- I also hold fitness and nutrition qualifications.
- In the 1990’s worked as a Lecturer in Psychology at Manchester Metropolitan University where I was also a course leader for a degree programme.
- I started working in private practice as a psychotherapist in 1996.
- In addition, I have worked within a variety of organisations including the N.H.S., commercial organisations, the voluntary sector, and N.G.O.’s in therapy, training, supervision, research, mediation and management roles.
- I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by its Code of Ethics.
- I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and on the United Kingdom Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
- I am a member of the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
- I am a Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society (MBPsS).
As a psychotherapist I am committed to ongoing professional development, and have recently completed a one year training in Gestalt psychotherapy at the Manchester Gestalt Centre, and completed a full training in EMDR psychotherapy.
As a psychotherapist in Manchester, I am also committed to my own personal development, and undertake my own therapy each weak in addition to the compulsory supervision I receive for my psychotherapy work.
In addition to psychotherapy, I read a lot, and am fanatical about physical health and well-being.
I take the opportunity to travel as often as I can.
I also have an interest in stand-up comedy, and can sometimes be found (nervously) developing my skills as a comedian on the Manchester ‘open mike’ comedy circuit.
In addition to my web presence with my blog, I am also regularly quoted in national magazines and newspapers, and regularly appear on radio (Radio Manchester, Radio Lancashire, Sunrise Radio and Radio 5 Live) where I talk about men’s and relationship issues.
Choosing a Psychotherapist in Manchester.
There are a wide range of counsellors, hypnotherapists, psychologists and psychotherapists in Manchester, all offering different services.
As a client it can be difficult to make a decision on who to approach.
My advice is to choose a psychotherapist in Manchester who can work with you using more than one style of therapy.
These days it is also not unreasonable to expect at least a masters degree in therapy.
Making these choices does not guarantee success, that comes down to the chemistry and bond you make with your psychotherapist, but you will at least know you are working with a therapist who can be flexible to meet your requirements, and have also satisfied a University that they are competent.
I offer a free telephone consultation to discuss your needs.
More About The Techniques I Use in Psychotherapy with My Manchester Clients: