Welcome to my psychotherapy service here in Manchester.
My name is Phil Tyson, and I have worked and trained as a psychotherapist since the early 1990’s.
How I work.
Sometimes we need to talk through our difficulties.
My style of therapy is to listen when you need to talk things through, and offer structured solutions when you are ready to move on.
Interestingly the research suggests that about 2/3‘s of clients want an unstructured space to talk, and about 1/3 of clients prefer the structure of cbt.
My experience is that most clients need different things at different stages of psychotherapy.
I am experienced and highly qualified in the field as a psychotherapist.
I can help you to:
This is my background as a psychotherapist.
- I graduated in 1991 with a 1st class Psychology degree and the British Psychological Society Division of Occupational Psychology student prize.
- This was followed in 1993 by an M.Phil. in H.I.V. Counselling and Support, and, in 2002, with a Ph.D. in Counselling Theory and Counselling Practice.
- All degrees were awarded by the University of Manchester.
- I completed a British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy accredited Diploma in Counselling in 1994.
- I qualified as a cognitive behavioural therapist with a Post Graduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy from Edge Hill University.
- I hold an Advanced Diploma in Creative Hypnotherapy.
- I have undertaken postgraduate courses in couple counselling, Gestalt psychotherapy, mediation, EMDR and supervision.
- I also hold fitness and nutrition qualifications.
- In the 1990’s worked as a Lecturer in Psychology at Manchester Metropolitan University where I was also a course leader for a degree programme.
- I started working in private practice as a psychotherapist in 1996.
- In addition, I have worked within a variety of organisations including the N.H.S., commercial organisations, the voluntary sector, and N.G.O.’s in therapy, training, supervision, research, mediation and management roles.
- I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and abide by its Code of Ethics.
- I am a BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and on the United Kingdom Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
- I am a member of the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP).
- I am a Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society (MBPsS).
As a psychotherapist I am committed to ongoing professional development, and have recently completed a one year training in Gestalt psychotherapy at the Manchester Gestalt Centre, and completed a full training in EMDR psychotherapy.
In addition to psychotherapy, I read a lot, and am fanatical about physical health and well-being.
I take the opportunity to travel as often as I can.
I also have an interest in stand-up comedy, and can sometimes be found (nervously) developing my skills as a comedian on the Manchester ‘open mike’ comedy circuit.
In addition to my web presence with my blog, I am also regularly quoted in national magazines and newspapers, and regularly appear on radio (Radio Manchester, Radio Lancashire, Sunrise Radio and Radio 5 Live) where I talk about men’s and relationship issues.
More About The Techniques I Use in Psychotherapy with My Manchester Clients:
I offer a free telephone consultation to discuss your needs.